They say home is where the heart is, but did you know your family’s safe haven has secrets of its own. Secrets that could cause a lot of trouble for your family and affect your health in ways you couldn’t imagine.
These dangers usually hide in plain sight. Colorless gasses, odorless fumes, colonies growing inside your walls. You can’t see them, but you might feel them. And if you do, it won’t be pleasant.
You may develop various symptoms, from respiratory issues to headaches and depression, and never even know what’s causing it.
So what can you do to prevent this? Well, the first step you should take is to learn more about the dangers hiding in your home and contact a professional at the first sign of one of these three hidden health risks in your home.
The unsightly black stains on your walls in the basement, attic, bathroom or anywhere in your home where it’s usually damp and dark are formed by microscopic organisms. They feed off organic material and need water and oxygen to thrive. If the mold finds the ideal conditions to grow and is left unchecked, it can grow incredibly large and reach incredibly deep into the walls of your home.
If your family members are exposed to mold for a long time they may develop symptoms like chronic coughing, respiratory issues, eye irritation and sinus congestion. Mold is also often linked to asthma and lung infections, especially with high-risk groups such as children and the elderly.
Depending on how far the mold infestation has progressed you may be able to deal with it yourself or may have to contact an experienced mold removal company. In cases of a mild infestation, you may be able to get rid of it using dishwashing soap, water, and non-ammonia cleaner. Make sure to wear protective gear such as gloves, long sleeves gas masks, and eye protection.
After cleaning the mold you’ll need to vacuum the area using a HEPA vacuum to collect any mold spores cleaning might have released into the air.
Known as the “silent killer”, carbon monoxide is particularly dangerous because of the fact that it has no smell or color. Therefore it’s impossible to detect its presence without special tools until you start developing flu-like symptoms. More than 400 people annually die from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the CDC.
Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when organic fuel is burned and the fumes cannot escape through ventilation. Common sources of carbon monoxide are gas water heaters, fireplaces, wood stoves and others.
To prevent a tragedy in your home make sure to service your heating systems and appliances using gas regularly. Every home needs to have a carbon monoxide detector as it is our only way to detect it before it’s too late.
E. coli and Salmonella
These frequent forms of bacteria affect our intestinal tract and can cause symptoms ranging from stomach issues to serious dehydration. Salmonella is usually ingested through contaminated food such as eggs, vegetables or meat. The same goes for E. coli contamination, as we usually ingest this bacteria through uncooked or uncleaned food.
To prevent anyone in your family from contracting either of these bacteria, make sure to always wash your hands before preparing food and clean the food thoroughly using hot water. Clean all the dishes before preparation and cook all ingredients before preparation.