General Tips & Information

Improve Your Home’s Fire Safety

SHARE
, / 69 0

Kitchen fire in pot.

Keeping your home safe from fire is probably not always on your mind. However, considering that fires destroy a lot of possessions across America each year, not to mention injure or kill numerous, it might be a good idea to dedicate some time to fire safety.

Companies such as Red Truck Fire are here to help individuals and companies to keep their properties and people safe. There are several things you can do to keep your home as safe from fire as possible.

These things typically don’t require a lot of effort, or skill, so everyone can do it.

Dryer Lint Is Dangerous

Even though clothes dryers are a very useful tool in our daily lives, they need to be used according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

One of the things people often neglect to do is clean out their dryer filter of lint. Naturally, lint collects in the filter and over time, it can reduce the air flow, which makes the dryer work harder to achieve the same effect. This, in turn, can cause a fire to break out.

Dryer filter fires are among the most common types of house fires which don’t involve cooking.

HVAC Maintenance

A very similar problem can occur if you don’t clean out your HVAC filter every month or so. The machine will work a lot harder to achieve the same heating/cooling capacity and may cause some part of it to break down and potentially catch fire.

Have your HVAC inspected by a professional and make sure to clean out the filter as per the instructions and you should be fine.

Have a Functioning Extinguisher

A lot of people buy a fire extinguisher for their home, just in case. However, most people don’t know that the fire extinguisher can expire and that it needs to be inspected by a professional.

Having a faulty fire extinguisher is arguably worse than not having one at all. So make sure that your fire extinguisher is functional and that it has been inspected by professionals like https://redtruckfire.com/fire-extinguisher-service-riverside-ca/.

Don’t Use Extension Cords as Permanent Solutions

When your power outlet is simply not enough for all of the devices we want to plug in, most of us will resort to extension cords. And while these handy devices are useful in the short run, experts suggest not using them as a permanent solution.

They are much more likely to overheat or even burn down, causing a fire in your home. If you must use them, be sure to unplug any device you are not using at the moment, and to replace any old or damaged extension cords with new ones.

Keep Cooking Oil Away from Fire

The single most common source of house fires are cooking accidents. The cooking oil we use to process food is very flammable and it doesn’t take much to ignite. However, this initial fire is usually easily put down.

The problem may arise if the person panics and tries to douse the flames with water or throws the pan down. In these situations, the fuel spreads and gets more oxygen, which is all it needs to progress quickly.

When cooking with oil, make sure to keep the container of it away from any open flame and that you remain calm while cooking, even if a small fire occurs. Simply starve it of oxygen with a cover and remove it carefully from the stove.

Keep your house safe from fire and keep a peace of mind by following these simple tips.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.